Friday 20 February 2009

Adsense revenues with free niche blogs

At the moment my main business idea for this blog is to monetize it using AdSense banners. It might not be the most lucrative source of revenue but it is easy to use and Google as owner of both Blogger and AdSense has nothing against using AdSense on Blogspot blogs.

In fact, the combination of a free blog platform and advertising limits our search for possible ways of monetization somewhat. On one hand some free blog platforms like Wordpress do not accept any advertising on the freely hosted blogs. On the other hand, some advertising affiliate programs do not accept blogs that are published on free hosting services to join the program.

But AdSense and Blogspot combine well together. The Blogger menus for setting the layout of the blog even include AdSense widgets that are extremely easy to add to the blog with only a few clicks (blog layout -> monetize). Thus it is not at all surprising that AdSense is the most popular advertising program used by a growing amount of bloggers who use the Blogspot as the platform for blogging.

There are many other good reasons for the choice besides it being free to use. As it is one of the most popular platforms, there is a huge selection of free templates to use. The default selection of templates is pretty boring, but the Internet is full of nice themes that can be used with any Blogger blog.

So far I have used several different Blogger templates that are "AdSense ready". Some bloggers might argue that this does not mean anything, as any Blogger template can be used with AdSense code. But for those of us who are not html and css code wizards they certainly make the life of a webmaster easier. At least I have been pretty happy with several free adaptations of popular Wordpress themes.

On the other hand I have used the very plain Minima white on one of my most lucrative blogs. So it seems that even the plainest design can be used for a money-making niche blog as long as there are customers who are interested in the content of the blog. I think I will use Minima also with this blog at least in the beginning. Keep it simple, Stupid!

I will return later to the theme of blog branding when I myself have to start considering the branding and visual image of this blog. Even if I don't consider it as the most important part of successful blogging it certainly helps to have a well designed blog template that is designed with AdSense in mind.

4 comments:

  1. Nice post. Adsense is very popular with blogger blogs. I suppose it is because of the ease of use. I have an adsense block, yes just one, on each of my blogs. But the main focus is product recommendations. Yes you can make some money with adsense. Lots of money if you out your mind to it. but I find the pay out with affiliate products is much more attractive

    blog themes for adsense? Does not really matter to me. A click through is a click through. At the end of the day, how well your blog performs with adsense or any other means of monetisation depends on the amount of targeted traffic you are getting.

    How much traffic to make money with adsense

    ReplyDelete
  2. First comment, cool! I have to keep eye on your blog, too :-)

    Greetings, Mikko

    ReplyDelete
  3. http://wordpress-dot.blogspot.com/

    http://www.asia-horror-movies.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete